The Deluxe Commercial Dive Harness with Oxycheq wing is possibly one of the best all around BCD units available today. It’s certainly not pretty, unless you like an industrial aesthetic, but it is durable, reliable, and built to a higher standard than most BCDs. Complying with CSA standards for commercial diving harnesses, it requires a great amount of effort to do in this great BCD. Each one is made right here in Joe Dorion’s shop on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. Joe is an army veteran and has been diving since before time was a thing. For insurance reasons, this unit can only be purchased and shipped in Canada.
- made from polyester webbing, the same as used for cargo tie downs on trucks, because it’s stronger than nylon, and doesn’t stretch when wet
- the harness is compliant with CSA standard Z275.2, meaning it can be subjected to a one tonne (that’s over 2000lbs for those not on side yet) stress pull for five minutes and remain serviceable (Joe’s design was successfully tested in July 2010)
- the BCD portion is an Oxycheq 55# Vertex Signature Series Wing, a well designed back inflation unit with good buoyancy characteristics (not pictured)
- the harness was custom fitted to the user, but can be used by others
- the harness itself weighs in at 7.25 kg (16 lbs) without the wing, which adds another 1.8 kg (4 lbs), weight can vary though as each unit is custom built
- each weight pouch can hold 6.8 kg (15 lbs) for a total of 40.8 kg (90 lbs)
- incredibly durable, made from cargo strapping and heavy materials in blue, grey/silver, black, or yellow, with heavy rings for fastening straps
- no frills, low drag
- fastex clipped individual weight pouches allow you to control how much weight you dump
- back wing inflation unit addition makes the harness compliant for all recreational, commercial, and scientific diving applications
- built and tested to CSA standards
- multiple rings for connecting equipment to yourself
- padded back for comfort
- will probably outlive your diving career, and possibly your children’s too
- no pockets
- is costlier than a recreational BCD
- it’s not “pretty” by conventional standards
- non-fastex clip straps take some time to get used to
Over all, the Deluxe is a top end harness and BCD combination, capable of catering to the needs of most divers. Best of all, Joe is able to modify his designs to meet special needs or requirements (within reason), so if you’re not sure whether he can make it work for you, ask! For divers looking for something ridiculously tough and that may outlive you to be used by your grandchildren when they dive, I fully recommend the Deluxe Harness with Oxycheq BCD from Joe Dorion.
FINAL SCORE: 4.5 / 5
All pictures used for this post are the property of Joe Dorion, used here for review purposes.